It is needless to say that technological advancements have driven construction forward, safer and made workers more efficient. It has enhanced the productivity and improved collaborations. The Indian construction industry ranks third out of 14 major sectors in terms of direct, indirect and induced effects in all sectors of economy. It is also predicted that this sector will acquire more Non-Residential Indian (NRI’s) investment in both short term and long term.
The Indian construction sector is now on the verge of a technical revolution. Not only is it the companies that are trying to bloom but the Government of India has also taken several initiatives magnify their growth.
The Change that has Begun
The construction industry is being transformed by the technology. The way buildings are designed, constructed and operated now, marks the convergence of technology in the field of construction. And we can say, the change has begun.
Let us have a look at the new techniques that is being implemented by the companies for a better output.
1) BIM : Building Information Modeling is a process that integrates the digital design of the buildings in 3D models. It provides the architecture, engineering and construction professionals with a vision and equipment to plan, design, construct and manage buildings more efficiently.
The advantages of BIM are as follows:
- Stimulates and Visualizes
- Improves collaborations since sharing becomes easier
- No re-work requires as it is a shared model
The future of BIM in India is really bright. It is increasingly gaining importance due to the number of accomplished projects aided by this technology. In a country like India, that faces scarcity of certain resources is appreciating BIM because it has minimized the utilization of resources.
2) Condensed Silica Fume: It is a by-product of ferro-silicon industry. It is easily available in the Indian market. It improves the texture of both fresh and hard concrete.
Due to its high pozzolanic nature it contributes to the following hydration reaction between ordinary Portland cement and water by reacting with the Calcium hydroxide to produce additional get. (C-S-H)
- O P C + water —> C-S-H + Calcium Hydroxide
- CSF + Calcium Hydroxide+ Water—> C-S-H Gel
The advantages of condensed silica fume are as follows:
- Reduction of concrete permeability
- Improvement of concrete mechanical performance
- Improvement of concrete sulfate resistance
- Improvement of reinforcement corrosion protection
3) Green Technology: Environment has come into a critical situation due to the noxious air pollution, disturbed food web, and extreme weather conditions. Situation has now demanded an urgency to go green.
India is one of the few countries who are succeeding in adopting the Green Technology.
- CII, Sohrabji Godrej Green Business Centre, Hyderabad
- Suzlon One Earth, Pune
- Maurya, New Delhi
The above named are just few successful projects of India who followed the Green Technology.
The advantages of green technology:
- Reduces carbon foot prints
- Conserves water
- Reduces waste
- Employment generation
4) Fly Ash Bricks: Fly ash bricks are lighter and stronger than the traditional bricks. Fly ash bricks have gained importance due to its low cost, uniformity, strength and less usage of mortar plastering. Due to its advantages the Government of India has also taken an initiative to increase its usage by 10 times.
The advantages of using Fly Ash Bricks are as follows:
- High fire insulation
- No breakage during transport
- Does not require soaking in water for 24 hours
- Good thermal insulation
- High compressive strength
5) High Volume Fly Ash: High Volume Fly Ash is a concrete where a replacement of 50-60% of cement is made with the usage of fly ash.
The advantages of using High Volume Fly Ash:
- Low heat hydration and thermal shrinkage
- Improved resistance to attack by sulfate soils and sea water
- Higher CaO content hence the pozzolanic activity is higher
- Resistance to corrosion
- Resistance to sulfate attack
6) Nano Technology: Reduction of the particle size of the existing particles leads to the enhancement of their abilities. This is typical of Nano particles of titanium dioxide which readily maintains its photocatalytic activity even when blended with cement. External cement surfaces become strongly photocatalytic which gives a better aspect and significantly reduces in concentration of pollutants in the surrounding environment. Titanium dioxide was observed to be a more reactive photo catalytic agent when it was decreased to non-size which makes it a quintessential element for construction. A cement binder containing about 5% of active titanium dioxide produces concrete with a smooth surface, converts pollutants and eradicates them from the surrounding environment.
Advantages of using Nano technology in construction:
- Increases strength and durability of cement composite
- Reduces air pollution
- Self-cleaning ability
- Destruction of fungi and bacteria
- Temperature regulation
With a motive to enhance the technological aids in the field of construction, Government of India has taken an initiative and announced April 2019-March 2020 as the Year of Construction Technology. The conference was aimed at recognizing ingenious and globally advanced technologies that can be introduced in India as well.
There has been a change in the Indian construction sector. There has been more inclination towards using advanced, eco-friendly and energy efficient technology. The construction industry is on the verge of technological revolution. Technology is giving us leverages that mankind had never imagined.
As thoughtful leaders in the field of construction, there’s a lot more interesting conversation that we can have.